- Grow in size to reduce cost per $bn assets managed (M&A)
- Stretch research staff to offset inflation of mid-back office costs
- Cut risk budgets to keep close to the benchmark each quarter
- Grow # of quality of investment decisions per number of staff.
- Use data science to encode sound investment knowledge NOW
- Leverage new technologies to compound knowledge COST EFFICIENTLY
Look for stocks that have relatively attractive fundamentals and are controversial and are consistent with your style and mandate.
Zero in on the 15% of your entire investable universe that is "interesting", not on a broker's subset where 85% is rated as "buy"
Ensure your risk budget is spread across a number of largely unrelated, stock-specific exposures, simulate ways to increase expected active return / active risk ratio.
Transparently assess your portfolio's past performance and future performance prospects